Friday, February 12, 2010

BABIES- not Rusty's this time (At Last)

Yes!! Finally something other than a rusty has produced babies. I am now the proud mum to at least one baby Northern Blue and to a baby Aul. stuartgranti, both of which showed up in my big outdoor tank for the first time yesterday. There may be more babies but I set the tank up to have lots of safe zones for baby fish so only time will tell as to how many I have exactly.
On a sad note I lost one of my Northern Blue adults last week while I was away. My poor partner had to fish her out while I was away and dispose of the body for me since I didn't want her to rot or get eaten in the tank until I got back. This also means I am not sure why she died. although it may have been because she had been holding the babies and just didn't recover which I believe does sometimes happen.
I have had to move some of my male rusty's to different tanks to stop them harassing every fish in the indoor tank when I found 2 of the male rusty's and my saulosi male as well as my cobue male all going at it fighting in the centre of the indoor tank.
I moved one into the small indoor tank with the Gourami's (to keep an eye on him) and the other rusty went to the more aggressive lower outdoor tank with the Bemba's, the dubosi's the hongi's and the auratus'.
The indoor tank has become a lot more peaceful since the removal of the two aggressive males. I left the least aggressive male in the tank as he is much further down the pecking order than the other two were.
I also moved one of the Jewels out of the outside tank as he is the odd one out of the three I had and looks very subdued at the moment. He is very grey looking and his fins are clamped, this may be due to stress or something else, so I am keeping him in the small indoor tank so I can keep an eye on him and see if he stops stressing and regains his colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment