Friday, February 12, 2010

What to put in a tank...add Bristlenoses

Every time I get a tank running I always run into algae. This is good and bad. Good because in order for algae to live the water needs to be good. Bad because it can take over the tank and I cannot see the occupants. Solution? Add more Bristlenoses to the tank until it is clear. This has worked time and time again. The best case in point is my outdoor 5 foot tank that disappeared behind a wall of green. I added 1 Bristlenose. Hah. Still too much green. I added 4 more baby bristlenoses...no that was not enough. I added another 8 babies and voila the green goes away and I now have many hungry bristlenoses keeping the tank clean as a whistle.
Now to my Tropheus tanks.
I noticed that my central tank which houses the plants and most of my snails has a hard brown algae on the glass of the tank...so I add 4 baby bristlenoses.
Slight improvement. So I think okay I had better just add 8 more baby bristlenoses to fix it like the last tank...hmmm how many bristlenoses do I have now?........about 22 at last count across 4 tanks. OMG I am cornering the market in bristlenoses...18 of them are just normal bristlenoses... maybe I should just let all these ones work out who are the boys and who are the girls and just leave them to make more themselves...but I still have to clean the tank of the algae...okay so maybe only 2 more slightly larger bristlenoses this time....maybe I will grab a boy and a girl albino BN and hope they start making little BN for me.
I wondered what I was doing with the end tank...now I know...making Bristlenoses for my other tanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment