Friday, February 12, 2010

Glass is Heavy

Note to self- Glass is very heavy and should not be carried for any great distance... obvious I know but something I failed to remember when we picked up the new tanks today and moved them to the house.
Having survived the mini ordeal we now have two tanks to put our fish in as they grow out now.
My partner had an "idea" and has put 3 Koi and 4 Bristlenose into the swimming pool which involved putting some different chemicals into the pool first, then putting the test fish in. If they are still alive in a week we might add a few more to the pool so they can clean up the algae outbreak we got from when the pump broke down.
We also found a huge supply of mosquito larvae up there as well and scooped up a nets worth and fed to our cichlids who endeavoured to explode themselves on the live food :)

When the Koi are big enough we will bring down from my other house my aquaculture tank which is 2.5m diameter and 50cm high (generally used to grow commercial quantities of yabbies and similar). I used to keep my other Koi in this until the water weed choked them, and it has been laying unused up at the other place for 6 months. If they survive that is. The bn will be either sold off or put in one of the other tanks. We then get the pool ready for the summer run of swimming and do a rinse and repeat for the following year. As I said...Not my idea :P

Nitrites were up in the 4' tank so the Nitrazorb has gone back in to fix it- have I mentioned the awesomeness of this product? It is awesome :D it absorbs the extra Nitrates or Nitrites via some specially designed resin beads in a bag. You pop it in for up to 5 days at a time and if you need longer you pop the bag into a salt bath for a few hours and it is recharged ready to go again. When you finish just rinse it off and store in salty water in the jar it comes in and its ready for the next time.
There are two sizes of bags the regular one and the larger one for really big aquariums or if your nitrates/nitrites are off the scale. Because the resin absorbs slowly there is no sudden drop of Nitrate/Nitrite levels it just goes down gradually. It took 10 days to reduce my small tank levels to 0/0.

On Monday I am going to set up the outside tank-just fill it and test the pump and so on. I have read that the Eheims can be tricky to prime so want to practice with it a few times and since it is outside it doesn't matter if I spill water everywhere. Since no fish are gong in to it for a few months I may just run it and grow some algae for the plecs via some rocks placed in the tank and then moved to the other tank so they can feed on them. I might also try my hand at growing some plants in the outside tank while there are no Cichlids to uproot them.

No comments:

Post a Comment